Friday 27 July 2007

… There will always be cheaters?

Okay, this week was the week for two things in the British media.

Rain and Sport cheats.

Ok, as there is nothing we can do to change rain, so no point in go moaning about it, let's talk about sport cheats.

 

First of all, the one I don't care about. Tour de France.

I've lost track of how many now were expelled, suspended or lead to whole squads withdrawing from the race. One of the guys actually did blood transfusion **what??** to get more energy and assume 1st place on it. Now, what is the point of training and sacrificing a whole year (if not even more) to something and than be helped by something illegal and which is unfair to the rest of the competitors?

As I said, I don't give a toss about tour de France. But I respect those who do, and for them I feel angry and disgusted by these runners behaviour.

 

Now, second. Formula One. Now this, I love.

Since getting married, I kind got completely hooked to it. When I was a girl, I used to loathe it. Every time my dad would turn the TV on Sunday lunch, would be to watch bloody F1 (yes, in Brazil the race is usually around lunchtime as well) and we wanted to watch the kids programme, or a movie. It was painful to watch cars going round and round with no apparent purpose. I wish I knew different, those were the best years of the sport.

So, when I got together with hubby, he taught me everything about cars. His enthusiasm and passion (more like love) for the subject made me turn around and now I am a biggest fan than he never was. I get physically anxious when I cannot see the qualifying or the race ( don't even get me started on the fact I didn't see the race last week because of the adorable * NOT* guests).

Ok, but we are talking about cheats. And what a cheat.

It is worth a movie. Right out one of James Bond plots. There is spying, theft, ultra confidential secrets and a huge document containing all technical details of a machine. So they go and build a machine like that one, and then, because they have time on their hands – come on, most of the work was already done anyway – they make it better and use the new machine for themselves.

Yeap, I am talking about thieves McLaren getting their dirty hands on Ferrari's plans. It was proved they had it, and it was in power of one of their guys.

So, yesterday, when they announced McLaren would not be punished AT ALL by the F1 committee, my jaws dropped.

We f1 fan already know they are favouring Mclaren because of oh-so-talented-the-media-wants-to-marry-you newcomer Lewis, but this is way out of line.

The least they could do is to show Ferrari Mclaren's plan, now wouldn't that be fair? (altough I assum it would never happen)

I almost gave up on the sport, but I know I won't. F1 is one of the sports you keep hoping someone will crash (but not get hurt, of course), break down or get really stupid so the one you support can win it.

I was sincerely hoping this would be a Ferrari year. This would give Massa a chance to be champion and I always thought Raikonnen deserved it as well, he always breaking down last season with that stupid little car and he was a magnificent driver.

 

But maybe this explains why they cheat in the first place.

They want so bad to win they don't believe they can do it themselves. They have to resort on dirty tricks to save their dreams, their money, their lives dedicated to a one and only subject: to win.

There will always be cheaters.

There will always be kinds who will grow to be adults who never learnt a lesson I've learnt from very early age. "The most important thing not to win but to take part". And do your best. If your best is not good enough, go back, practice and then you'll deserve a honest clean win.

Funnily enough, I've always won load of medals and trophies on competitions (sport and intellectual). Not always first place, but my best made me happy. Not obsessed with the win, but it was fun to take part and I guess this contributed to the winning.

 

There will always be cheaters, they will try and get away with it. And sometimes, like McLaren, they will.

They will say no one knew anything about it and it was all a mistake.

Maybe they will even go to win the competition. But will they sleep peaceful at night? Will they be satisfied with their fake win?

That I'll never know. And I am proud of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we will always have to deal with cheaters... not only in sports... they're all around us... I remember that once someone told me that sports need this kind of thing... everybody must complain about some injustice... I don't know if it's right but I'm sure it always happens...
Luciana