Wednesday 1 August 2007

... It’s sad people still think feudalism is ok?

Someone very close to me left me astonished last night.

During a trivial chat, she dropped the bomb saying she thought people should live on their own economic class to avoid discomfort.

First of all, I have to explain how things work in Sao Paulo – the place I came from. It is an energetic city, HUGE (territory and population-wise) and dynamic place.

There is what I can describe only as an infinite social and economic gap, between the poor and wealthy people.

When I say poor, I mean really poor - on the brick of misery. And when I say wealthy, I mean stinky rich, millionaires, billionaires even.

There is also a medium class, those who are not quite down or up there, but have their own house, a car for the family, the kids are on private schools and everyone is employed. Most are graduated or have even higher level education.

Usually, you have everyone living on the same places, but the extremes are more concentrated. The poor live on the favela (shanty-towns) or somewhere where everyone is kind of crowded, the crime rates are higher and are much more difficult to get to by tube or bus. The wealthy live on closed-gates communities, where they all stay isolated from the world outside – or on very high buildings surrounded by guards, CCTVs, 4, 5 gates, all to guarantee their security and peace of mind.

I come from the middle class. I've studied on public schools from the ages 13-19, we lived on a 4 stores building with 8 apartments per floor (my parents still live there)

We always had one car only and were never ashamed to walk the bus, the tube or simply walk.

I know nowadays the middle class is moving closely together to protect each other. The crime wave is coming with a force where it does not matter anymore where which car you drive or which clothes you wear to affect you. Some nice good at heart people are forced to go to the closed gate communities and sometimes they are not even that rich.

That is fine by me.

It is a natural movement, a fight for survive.

But now, to hear yesterday, this person, who I have always somewhat admired, say people should not ever live together on the same places completely takes me by surprise. People should be fighting to live the way we live in London, in England, in Uk for that matter – and not be preaching segregation by how much one is worth. Being forced to move is fine, when there is no choice, but there is – in my opinion – a HUGE step to be taken in finding that correct and saying is the right thing to do.

Her point was that when rich people live close to poor people, the poor ones will get envy and the rich ones uncomfortable and guilty. By living on the same kind of area everything is blended and you don't care by the amount of money you earn, you can enjoy a bit more the rewards for your work.

When you go to the streets here, you never know if someone living on that borough is poor or rich. You don't judge someone by the car they drive. The clothes they wear.

People could have a huge estate and be broken. Could drive a mini and be loaded. Wear Prada and own their souls to the bank.

It takes time, and knowledge to start realizing where the rich live, which car they usually drive, where they work and what they do. But it's all mixed, blended, hidden.

I believe it is as close to ideal as it will ever get.

People in Sao Paulo have the right to live in a better house, drive a better car, and wear the clothes they wish. Even if I don't agree with millionaires in a world where people kill each other for envy and lack of perspective, I agree people don't have to be the hippie I vindicate.  Now, supporting the cause rich people living along poor people is not only wrong, it is ignorant and short-sighted. Poor people could be inspired and touched by rich ones. Rich ones could develop a sense of charity, not the give-your-money-away charity, but give-a-little-of-your-life charity. Help others, show them they can get where you are without robbing or killing anyone.

But who am I to say anything?

Once again I have to admit I am a hypocrite who ran from it all. Took the easiest way out and don't have to get involved anymore.

I am not the hippie onem, giving out money, or time, let alone my life to help others.

Who knows one day the revolution will come and things will change? I'll tell you one thing, I'd love to be part of that if that day ever comes…

2 comments:

I Beatrice said...

Well reasoned and expressed, Agape, and I do agree in principle with what you say. But I have lived a long time, and have learnt that things don't always work out the way they should in an ideal world...

Sometimes - as in certain parts of London for example - segregation can simply represent safety!

Not ideal, I know - but sadly, one of the facts of modern urban life. (And increasingly in Britain, of rural life too.)

Anonymous said...

Hypocrite? I don't like hearing you saying that... you're someone looking for a better life...
I know you will find strange but I agree with your friend. I don't want to live closer to a favela. I don't want to live closer to misery. I don't want people asking me for money... darling, I pay all my taxes... all my taxes. I want peace. I want to feel secure in my house, in my neighborhood.
I know rich and poor can live together. I know segregation is terrible and discriminatory. But in real world... in real SP... it's becoming a reality.
And you're reading it from someone who takes bus and tube everyday! And I still live in "zona leste"... you know what I mean...
Lu