Tuesday 9 October 2007

… procrastination is a needed sin?

 

(quoting answer.com) Procrastination is the deferment or avoidance of an action or task to a later time.

More than just that, I believe procrastination is the art of finding other things to do when you are completely and utterly sure you'd better be doing something else.

Then, you find excuse why you should put the first task "on-hold" until you sort the secondary one first.

-- Is when you put secondary things you have to do before the priority ones --

 

Yes, I agree with theories which say procrastination leaves you more anxious, and gives you an increased sense of self-worth. Is like all these things you have to do, makes you who you are, makes the time fly.

What good would it'd be if you finished all your tasks and then, there is nothing else to look forward to?

"The better you are, the better you better be" (David Allen).

People will always look at you sitting there with a smirk on your face, and what will happen? They'll find more stuff for you to sort out. It's not like if I done my job properly I'll have the rest of the day to take a bath, or watch as much daytime television as I like, or go shopping. No way, you gotta stay in their eye range, so they see you're there, typing something, probably taking ages to do something which would take only some hours, minutes, even seconds to sort out.

Don't get me wrong. I do take my job very seriously. And I even quite like it. But I have learnt from the very early stage of my professional life, this is the way to get this done and even get appraised for it.

 

So procrastinating! Gosh, I am so good at it, I even start procrastinating on the post talking about it! – I love the way it works.

Work 2 minutes, procrastinate another 5.

-          Write a post for you blog (after all everyone is counting you your news girl, you can't let them wait!),

-          read a post from another blog (you need to know how your friends are!),

-          check what is on ebay (god forbid you miss a bargain!),

-          read an email (you need to know if it is something urgent there, you never know),

-          get up get your water (you have to drink 2 litres a day, can you believe it?)

-          check the news (you need to be up to speed with the world, what if the manager asks what I think about the Burma situation or the bottled PM?)

-          check the gossip (what if the boss asks me who I want to win in Big brother)

-          check the weather (will I need my brolly or not?)

-          and…

-          so…

-          on..

-         

Maybe procrastination is the crutch for lazy people. Running from the obligations because they are too boring or too important, instead of getting rid of them at once.

Maybe it's just a way to put fun in your life, make it more interesting, making the life at  IT office look as if is oh so exciting and terribly busy, then, you have everything done, at last.

 

But be aware! Don't fall into the trap of actually forgetting about your priorities. Otherwise it'll be hell to pay. There is a guy here who is always being told off by the boss. He is the one who spends 7 of the 8 office hours on discussion forums, talking chit chat with people and always ALWAYS forgetting he has a job to do. Tip of the day: Never get to much of a procrastination dose. It can be fatal!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oie,
I think I'll follow your advice. Just small doses of procrastination... lol... I love it...
Have a nice weekend...