Thursday 20 September 2007

…freedom of speech rules?

One of the things I like the most about blogging, is the fact I can share my opinions with people sometimes I don't even know face-to-face. Discussing different point-of-views without getting in a war would be the start line of my so-planned-never-gonna-happen revolution :) Making people see each one is different to each other and trying to accept (accept, and not simply tolerate) them …

But then again, this is subject for another post.

What I want to do now is to reply some of the very rare comments I get on this blog.

As the comments link have been disabled by the company I work for, this is the best way to share my views on your opinion ;)

 

On the subject of the Mocoto restaurant, which was opened by a Brazilian and closed 5 months ago, I am glad to see people agree with me. Apart from the fact I don't know who said £5million was spent; it is not hard to imagine that was the real figure at the end. Qris made a very valid point when saying this smelt like a money laundering scheme. We from Brazil know that unfortunately our people have a way to make everything turn into our advantage. It is something hard to explain, it's like a cultural thing when most of the time you try to bend the law and the rules in favour of oneself. Of course I am not saying everyone does it on a large scale, but everyone has done it before one way or another (throw the first stone the brazilian who didn't, lol). So, this is a very real and possible thing which could have happened, and I tell you one thing, the odds are against the guy being an innocent incompetent restaurateur.

The point Beatrice does is worth repeating here:

"Consider that a man spends a million to make another million - and then another and another. Consider that some at least of those millions find their way back into the economy of his country - and ask yourself if after all the people of that country will not somehow be the better for it?"

I've read an article on a Times (or was it the independent?) weekend magazine which said this guy came from a very rich family – old money then – and he was already a very successful and respected entrepreneur in Brazil before opening Mocoto here. The fact is we know none of this money would have found its way back to Brazil. Maybe it is hard for you to grasp that concept, because English people are more…how can I put it politely …? English people are more correct. In 90% of the case with brazilian rich people their money is nowhere near a brazilian bank account or funding good causes (unless they get tax relief). They are in swiss banks, one of those banks the brazilian government will never find out about and come knocking on the door asking for the tax on it to be paid. Unfortunately that is the true, and the hopes of what you're saying would happen actually coming to reality are very slim. Maybe they broke here because once in their lives they had to pay their dues and not try and swerve from the laws. Believe you me, I wish this could be true =(

 

On the topic about the movies cliché about stunning girl gets together with geek boy, Luciana you are spot on with your comment. That's what I try to explain to Joe all the time. There's even something else. How could we ever compete with photoshop and special effects? So, he'll have to settle down for little old me, porky and all =)

 

On the hook about beauty, comes my post about my diet. Luciana, I gained more than 10 Kg after I came to UK, believe it or not. I always loose weight before going to Brasil, around 5-6Kg, so what you see is actually just 4Kg more than when you saw me on the civil wedding ceremony 5 years ago =) My 2008 resolution will be to maintain my body weight and try to make it even better throughout the year and not only when I go to Brasil. This way I can enjoy feeling good about myself all the time and not feel the pressure when the time for the trip has come. I need to remember more how I am feeling now when I come back. Qris has commented here and she knows how hard it is to cope with everything. I believe what we ex-pats think, is if isn't enough to be away from home, from our family and closest friends (although now I have 2 beatiful and special friends here – they know who they are ^_^), we already have to cope with the terrible winter and cold miserable summer, why should we have to put up with starving and cutting down the foods we love? Chocolate, pasta, cheese, fried and frozen garbage are always the best ones to give us comfort. But I guess the point here is concentrate on what is good happening around us. We do have a good job (unlikely so many illegal Brazilians living here), we have good people around us here as well, the transport works, the quality of life is a galaxy away from the one we get in Brazil. We have to be stronger than our body and conquest its cravings. There's a phrase a friend told me which sums it all. There is nothing more delicious than being gorgeous (well, I took the liberty to replace thin by gorgeous here). With this in mind, I am finding a new will power. This should be a mantra thought to girls everywhere. Hope it helps you as well Qris. To Beatrice I can say I am facing this with no pressures at all. Is not like I am starving or not eating what I like. I have a treat per day and I think that is what makes most difference. Instead of having a chocolate bar, I stick to 2 squares. No more chips on lunch time (when I'd have them everyday before), but I have a nice salad or a healthy sandwich, most of the time I am bringing a packed lunch I made myself. I am very lucky because I love my fruit and veggie! I am also exercising at least 3 times a week, even if it is just for 20 minutes or so.

Overall, thanks girls for whishing me so well. The last update is I lost almost 2Kgs (4lbs) in 2 ½ weeks, and that includes the trip to Paris, crepes and ice cream then. Is not enough for people to notice the change but I am on the right track (I hope!)

 

On the last topic – not a very popular one, lol – about Formula one, Luciana – at the last paragraph I meant I am terrible at lying and I think I don't have the gene the good liars/cheaters have =) So every time I lie, everyone knows about it because is written on my face!

 

Off-topic one – Beatrice, I am sure once I finish the novel I'll miss it. I am trying to read it as it was the blog when we have to wait to see what happens, and its trilling. Hope you keep your second blog and keep writing and visiting other blogs. You are a very special blogger around, it'd be a shame to loose you…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl... you've already lost 2kg? Congratulations! You're doing it very well.
Just remember that in the beginning it's easier to loose weight... after it's harder... but you can do it! Believe it!
I loved your mantra... I will say it too...
Kisses

I Beatrice said...

You write with such. Humour too - and of course I have no way of knowing how overweight you were before, or indeed if you were overweight at all?

Perhaps you were just a little on the plump side? Which the men tell us they prefer to skinniness anyway. So, think Nigella rather than Posh Spice - and give yourself a little treat now and then!

As for the Brazilian restaurateur - well, I think that what I was trying to do was define capitalism. Not an entirely loveable system (nor one that I entirely understand!)- but one that seems to work for most nations when followed with decency. I take the point about Swiss bank accounts etc - and believe me, they're not restricted to Brazil! But as I understand it, wealth generated is wealth to be distributed, even among the poorer nations. And on the whole the already rich seem able to generate it best...

As I said, not a loveanle system! But, as Churchill once said of democracy, perhaps "the best we've got"?

I Beatrice said...

Alas, some of my words were cut off! Put it down to the fact that I'm using my little laptop, and the print is too small for my old eyes! What I meant to say was "You write with such thoughtfulness and liveliness.......

Anonymous said...

Hi my dear friend... For more than a month I don't comment here, but you know there's a good reason, LOL... vacation!! Well, Now I read the posts and am ready to comment again ;o) Kiss!!!