Tuesday 3 July 2007

…there is something behind this entire attention media to the so-called terror threads?

Watching one of my favourite programmes on Television, Family Guy, there was this episode when Louis is elected mayor of Quahog and needs budges to clean the city lake. Because no one accepts that as a fair reason to spend money, all she has to do to convince them is to mention the word “terrorist” and people would throw dollars at her and run for their lives. It was like all the problems just vanished, and all the people’s life, money, attention and fate depended on the fact there was a threat, hanging which would somewhere/somehow/sometime become reality.

I am not saying what we see today in London and UK papers are fabricated facts. I do believe there is a big risk of another tragedy happening in London. But that is a bit of an obvious statement isn’t it?

As we live here, the more we learn about this “great mixture of race and culture” the UK so much praise itself for, and more we know the litter which is put behind the carpet as well. As we know there are people amongst us who are prepared to using the smallest reason to vengeance to put it in practice and hurt people, even themselves.

What I am saying is that the press, along with the government and some (if not all) big companies must be behind a curtain people from Quahog usually put themselves on. As soon as the t-word is spoken is like all our primitive fears are flourished, we stop anything we are doing and pray we are as far from the place in question as possible. So that is when all those who want to take advantage of the situation come in.

The PM is suddenly this huge hero, responsible, confident, certain bad things will happen “not if, but when” (not a shade of the questions if he is really prepared for the job and what he should do in power we had last week – that just disappeared from the news completely!)

If he is so certain - why the hell he doesn’t do more important things and take more measures to stop it? If they know the cells, the plans, go in and do something! I am not saying to repeat the fiascos they performed last years, raiding houses of innocent people, just for the sake of the news. Just be competent and let us know when you get the results, its all we ask, really!

But no! It is easier to put in test our knowledge in “seeing anything suspicious” and our ability “to report that to any member of the staff”.
The Metropolitan Police motto everyday is “ask the members of the public to remain vigilant at this stage”. Ok then, can we all stop being vigilant at any stage? Were we allowed that before last week when this whole shenanigan started?

The true is, we are always vigilant. But we are always afraid. Even to report to a member of staff. Or to confront anyone on the same carriage as us if the luggage belongs to them. What if it does and the guy decides to blow it there and then on the spot? If you haven’t said anything you could have survived until your stop… What if it doesn’t belong to anyone? Imagine the panic, the delays getting home – AGAIN! What if it belongs to someone and you just made a fool of yourself playing constable for the day? There are so many ifs, by the time we build up the courage, it will either be all gone, or you’ll have reached your final destination anyway – of course, remembering to carry on all “your personal belongs with you” (quoting a comedian I heard once – is there any other type of “your belongs” than “personal”? Should it be “Take all public belongs you can see on your way with you”? If it is my belong, of course is personal - d’oh!)

I must confess I do read this news. I am not looking for anything atrocious or bad news coming (as some people do). The reason I am constantly on the BBC news website is just to check the travel news. If there is any other security alert it will be another pain we have to go through. Isn’t it enough we have to fear for our lives, but to put it on hold as well while an empty crisp bag is checked by a team of 50 men and 10 dogs??

Better than that is the guy in Stanstead who last night forgot a luggage unattended. Of course the airport was evacuated. Of course the guy came forward later saying the luggage was his.
But goes to proof we did all fail our spotting-anything-suspicious A Levels.

There is one thing I am really afraid of though. All these cry wolves are a tactic to something bigger coming.
Give it two weeks, nobody will care to check packages anymore, the police will be embarrassed by so many false alerts and controlled explosions, they’ll start to ignore the signs – again.
More “members of the public” will start to agree with me and think everything is just a scheme for the government to get more money from us.
Then, we will be in trouble.

6 comments:

Olha...e se eu pudesse entrar na sua vida... said...

I do think there s always something. Do you remember Bowling for Columbine? I guess having everyone scared is useful to politicians somehow. Plus the justification of certain prejudices...

Agape said...

Mari - exactly my point! - what makes me even angrier is the fact they pray no prejudice, and no violence but they are the first at fault...

Chris said...

Yeah, I do agree that scaring people is one of the main points here. Honestly, after seeing so many successful car bomb attacks in Iraq and all those places where Judas lost his boots, and all the previous attacks in the US, UK and elsewhere, it is hard to believe that these two car bombs in London were terrorist job. Sounds so amateur. Since when a bomb is made of gas and nails? Do you have to light a bomb now?

Sometimes I am glad to had spent so many years in Rio, having to cross Rocinha by bus late at night, and thinking that the shots at Guanabara Palace (my flat is exactly in front of it) were fireworks. I've learned to be scared of real danger. I am more scared of crossing the streets than I would be of unattended luggage.

And I still feel safer here than in Rio. And I can stop thinking I'm in a film when I see Charing Cross with 20 policemen all over. As far as nobody dies, I think it's cool!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Good to see your new space. I'm glad you find some place to write your thoughts, your universal thoughts!
Well... I really don't know what's going on in my city or in my country or in the world... I think I'm living in a separate world, at this moment of my life... I know it sounds crazy but that's my reality...
Your post remind me about the V movie... it's all about control our lives with FEAR... that's too sad, too bad.
And I loved the I can't believe the news today... it's wonderful... I hope you can close your eyes and let it go away :0)
Welcome back, darling!

Agape said...

CHRIS, you are soo right, and that is exactly the point I explain to everyone who asks me desperately how I felt. It is easier to get hijacked in Sao Paulo than something happening to us here,, but you when its somewhere rich it makes teh news all over the, and it makes brazilian people thank God because they don't - supposedly - live at war.

Luciana - I have to read the news because I can't contain myself not to do it, I am addicted to the news and I actually miss it when I am away. Weird, I know, but that's geek me for you :) and I MUST see V for vendeta, everytime you say my opinions match the movie. Certainly I'll either love or hate it =)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Ah, mas que vai ser estranho eu escrever em inglês, isso vai, rsrsrsrs...

But I'll try. ;o) Beijos...